Kondapalli Fort or as the locals call it, Kondapalli Kota in the Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh is a reminder of the dramatic power struggles that the region once saw for the control of these fertile lands.
After the Reddys came the Gajapatis, the Qutubshahi rulers, the Mughals, the Nizams and finally the British troops who took over the fort and set up their military garrison here in 1767.
This spectacular structure has three entry gates, first is the Golconda Darwaza which lies near Jaggayyapeta town, the second is a much smaller gate near Kondapalli village, and the third is the main gate called Dargah Darwaza which is built with a single block of granite.
When the fort was taken over by the British, they ran a military school inside until 1859. An English barrack is still standing in the fort area, which has eight large rooms, apart from a house in an annex.
Though large parts of the region were destroyed over time, what remains still speaks volumes about what life may have once been like here. The only reminder of the old days is the toy town where artisans came and settled 400 years ago.
Get access to weekly Live events, experiences and an exclusive repository of films, articles and books